Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Research

I'm finally starting to gain understanding of what I want to learn during this process. For me, my idea around personalized learning using technology seems so big and often difficult to "confine" in a quantitative question. However, I've already found some inspiration among the research provided to us on the Scaling the Action Research Peak website. Seeing other ARPs in action is very helpful to begin to frame my own research. 

In our most recent meeting with our climbing guide, I embarked on gathering some research of my own. This article on Edutopia offers 10 suggestions for students' personalized learning by way of technology. I was particularly struck by a few ideas: 

2. Gather and use immediate feedback of students' understanding
3. Give students options 
6. Create weekly "Must do" and "May do" lists

I would really like to sample all students, focusing in on a few in particular who demonstrate a wide range of learners in my classroom. I'm currently considering ideas around giving students options. I would like to create a series of small projects that are based on what students already know from their time in my classroom. These small projects or questions will be answered using an app of the student's choice. After each project or question, I will survey students about their individualization of products. I will gather more in depth interviews from students who I select to offer a range of learners.

I've just started to dig into this report by Babette Moeller and Tim Reitzes on Integrating Technology with Student Centered Learning.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the links to both articles. I plan to share the Edutopia 10 suggestions for students' personalized learning with your Team 7 colleagues and am looking forward to diving into the Student Centered Learning report. I am so pleased to hear that perusing other action research projects helped you clarify and frame your focus.

    Here are a few more resources that you might find helpful:

    Mean What You Say: Defining and Integrating Personalized, Blended, and Competency Education - http://www.ccrscenter.org/products-resources/blog/mean-what-you-say-defining-and-integrating-personalized-blended-and

    Current work happening with the Partnership for Change in Burlington around personalized learning - check out the article Personalized Learning and the Growth Mindset: http://partnershipvt.org/category/personalized-and-proficiency-based-learning/

    Self-paced Blended Learning Highlights "Average" Student Myth - http://www.eschoolnews.com/2014/03/18/blended-learning-average-121/?

    And, lastly, some interesting new tech tools to support personalization: http://www.eschoolnews.com/2014/03/11/personalizing-classroom-tools-600/?ps=362720-001a000001VsswW-003a0000022GHdH

    ReplyDelete