Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Honing the Question

I feel like I finally have some definitive direction after my time with John. The Google Hangout session wasn't without it's technical glitches... No microphone sound, but successful nonetheless. One of my biggest take-aways from initial research was around feedback; not only finding the most useful feedback tools, but also using student feedback to inform instruction. In my experience, students are not always honest in the whole group feedback mechanisms, like "thumbs up, thumbs side, thumbs down" or a raise of hands for understanding. That leaves the more anonymous and individual means of feedback; polls, surveys, nearpod. However, because student support time means missing recess or lunch for extra help, students are often not honest in these modes either. They don't want to miss their social time at recess or lunch. This means that the students who need the most help are not receiving it because they do not want to lose out on their social times.

Luckily, I am in a team teaching model for humanities. In this model, I have flexibility in class to make sure Bill and I are getting to those students who need support. We could also build in activities for students who want the extra step; going above and beyond. Now comes the time to hone the question.

What modes of feedback are most useful for students and teachers?
How can I use feedback immediately in my classroom to offer support or expansion steps?
How can I structure my class so that the needs of all students are being met, in accordance with their feedback?
How often should I use this feedback tool?

1 comment:

  1. I'm encouraged by your continued perseverance in finding ways to learn how best to support your students, and applaud your understanding about just how important social time is to them. Great focus.

    ReplyDelete